Each student should have a chosen course in their profile (in some universities you may call this a programme or a major). This course can be used by you as an admin to target content to certain courses, to review statistics linked to individual courses and also by employers to target in their recruitment.
In the past, a students course was either chosen directly by the student, or updated through an SSO. Now, you are able to bulk import a students' course directly in the platform, to make sure that your students are seeing the most relevant content. This article explains exactly how you can do so.
1. Important things to note
- The feature is available if you are a Super Administrator, through the Courses module, shown in the photo below. If you are not yet familiar with the Courses module, please see this article before continuing. Please be aware that this may require the help of your IT team.
- This feature is designed to push data on to current students in the platform. If the student does not yet have an account in your Careers Center, it will not pre-provision this data if the student creates an account in the future.
- When you do the import, you do not have to include every student. For example, you can import the courses of just the new users, or just the users you wish to update.
- If the students course is updated by SSO, the SSO will override the import when the student connects to the Career Center.
2. Preparing the Excel file
To import the data, you are going to need to prepare an Excel file. The authorized files are .xls (Microsoft Excel 2003) or .xlsx (Microsoft Excel 2007).
This file needs two columns, “id” and the course code, called “code”:
Step 1: Filling the ID column
The id of the students can be found in the export from the Users module, as shown in the photo below. This would be in the following format: 547919f8-6b41-4984-bd98-ac2507f83984
Step 2: Filling the course code column
Once you have the id of each student, you need to fill in the course code column. As you have already uploaded the courses into the platform, you should have a list of each course and their course code.
You will then need a list with the course of each student, with which you attribute a course code. There is a type of 'matching' that needs to be done, because the information is in three separate excel places. You need to match information from the User Report, the list of courses with JobTeaser course codes and a list with the course of each student.
If you currently have a multi-programme/multi-course setting in place, you can add more "codes" columns which will give the student other courses in his profile. Please note that you need to name each "code" column with a different title (e.g. "code1", "code2", "code3").
Also, if the student already has a course selected in his profile and you only have one "code" column, this will override his current course.
3. Uploading on to the platform
Once your Excel file is ready, you can go to the Courses module of the platform. In the top right hand corner, click on 'Import' in the top right-hand corner, and then choose 'Student Courses'.
Once you click on 'Student Courses', you will be asked straight away to upload a file. Select the Excel file you have just prepared.
Once you import the file, the update is done. The student will now have the course in his profile from the Excel file.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the team at firstname.lastname@example.org